The Advanced Diploma in Contemporary Psychotherapy is our highest level of qualification and is required for UKCP Accreditation with BeeLeaf
The Advanced Diploma is made up of components of training as detailed below. This will enable Psychotherapists who hold the BeeLeaf Diploma in Contemporary Psychotherapy to achieve an advanced accredited qualification and apply for UKCP Accreditation upon completing the Registration process and evidencing:
- A total of 450 hours of Supervised Clinical Practice. You are required to have one hour of Clinical Supervision with a Clinical Supervisor for every 6 hours of Clinical Practice with clients. (Clinical Supervisor fee not included in course fee).
- 100 hours of mental health familiarisation, either within clinical practice or other mental health role.
- Personal Therapy. You are required to have 48 hours of one-to-one personal therapy with a Psychotherapist or Counsellor who is UKCP Registered (or equivalent) over the 4 year training period, plus 40 hours of one-to-one or group therapy. This is not included in the course fee.
- Full details for joining the UKCP as a Full Clinical Member can be found on their UKCP website here.
Training for Advanced Diploma
* For people enrolling on their first unit of the BeeLeaf Diploma after 1st November 2019
Pathway for people enrolling on their first unit of the BeeLeaf Diploma after 1st November 2019:
NOTE some units of training can be completed at different stages over the 4 years to that shown in the diagram.
Where, when, how much?
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, some of our training takes place at a spacious venue close to BeeLeaf House London E3 5AX. Nearest tube Mile End. Free parking at weekends. Some training takes place online using Zoom.
Refer to individual training units.
Summer School Units
* Applied Clinical Hypnosis in Contemporary Psychotherapy 10 days over 5 weekends starts Autumn 2021
Teaching & Learning
For award of the Advanced Diploma you must successfully complete the following BeeLeaf units in addition to meeting the entry requirements. Please refer to individual units for the syllabus and assessment information.
- Working Creatively with Trauma
- Working Effectively with Anxiety & Depression
- Working Successfully with Addiction & Recovery
- Research Methods & Dissertation
For UKCP Registration you need to achieve the BeeLeaf Advanced Diploma and meet these UKCP requirements.
- Degree OR equivalent formal or life learning to benefit from BeeLeaf’s policy of inclusivity
- BeeLeaf Diploma OR another Diploma Accredited by UKCP, BACP or equivalent. We will be able to let you know which parts of your qualification fulfill this entry requirement and what BeeLeaf units may need to be completed to fill any gaps for entry onto our Advanced Diploma programme.
- Successful completion of application form and interview.
Apply using the online application on this page (including details for payment of £50 application fee).
Being a psychotherapist is not just about academic or analytic achievement. In your application process we are also keen to assess the personal qualities that are needed to be a safe, effective and sufficiently robust professional. Those qualities include:
A lively and enquiring mind
An ability to experiment and value learning from mistakes as much as successes
Enjoyment of others’ process and uniqueness
Curiosity in situations of “not-knowing”
Desire to develop compassion for yourself and others
Training to be a psychotherapist, and practicing as one, are emotionally and psychologically demanding because the skills and qualities needed to form and maintain therapeutic relationships require a good relationship with our own feelings, thoughts and vulnerabilities. When we engage in experiential learning we need to be able to reflect on our experiences and be open to feedback from our own emotions and from peers and tutors.
The ability to safely hold clients who may at times be distressed, confused and processing uncomfortable feelings, depends on us reaching our own capacity for owning, reflecting and processing our own inevitable emotional challenges. This is part of what makes psychotherapy such a rewarding profession, as long as we continually develop our psychological robustness and awareness.
It is not unusual for people to have come to the profession of psychotherapy through having benefitted from it themselves in managing life’s difficulties and sometimes from having received a mental health diagnosis. This is not in itself a barrier to training, it can enhance your learning and practice, however during your application process we need to consider together whether training could exacerbate existing mental health issues and how this is best managed. If we feel that it is not the right time in an applicant’s recovery to be able to benefit from the investment of time and money in training, we reserve the right to not admit that applicant to training.
Application deadline 23rd March 2022 for first unit of Diploma; Certificate in Skills & Principles of Contemporary Psychotherapy. subject to availability of places
Scroll down and click the ‘apply’ button and you will be guided through a secure online application form. Once completed you will be asked to pay the £50 application fee.
STAGE 1 Submit completed application form online. (Allow approximately 45 minutes to complete the whole form at once as it is not possible to save for completion later).
- You must provide 2 professional references within 7 days of submitting your online application using the Reference Form that can be downloaded here: Reference Form October 2020. The first referee should be your current or most recent employer / manager / supervisor / tutor of a course you have attended /colleague where you volunteer / community leader of group you attend / client if you are self employed. The second referee can be a previous employer / manager / supervisor / tutor of a course you have attended / colleague where you volunteer / community leader of group you attend / client if you are self employed. We cannot accept References from friends & family.
STAGE 2 If your written application is successful you will be invited to attend an individual interview online using Zoom. This will last for up to one hour and will be with 2 senior members of our team. This is a supportive process during which we establish if this is the right course for you and where appropriate how we may be able to count some of your existing qualifications towards the Diploma. We will discuss with you which units of our training and other requirements would need to be met for award of our Diploma.
STAGE 3 We will contact you with the outcome of the interview. Any offer of a place is subject to provision of satisfactory references. We will discuss with you which units of our training and other requirements would need to be met for award of our Diploma. You would then need to complete an Enrolment Form for individual units of training ( we will let you know which unit you should enrol on first) and make appropriate payment of fees before we can confirm your place on any training.
Application & Interview Fee £50 payable prior to your application being processed (via Paypal using debit/credit carder Paypal). Refer to Fees HERE.